- Start by whipping together the cream and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then mix in the flour.
- Pour the hot stock into the pan a little at a time, making sure to keep stirring all the time.
- Then add a little garlic, wine, pepper and ground nutmeg.
- Continue boiling and tip in the grated cheese gradually, making sure to keep stirring all the while.
- Once the cheese has melted, the soup is ready.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls whilst continuing to stir, add the cubes of cheddar and parsley for decoration.
Serve piping hot with garlic bread. Cheese soup can also be served as a starter.
Other mature, full-fat cheese can also be used to make cheese soup – try it out with your favourite cheese!